It started out as what everyone thought was a simple cold. Months later, Alex Lewis would be missing part of his face, along with both arms and both legs. It was all the doctors could do to keep the man from literally being eaten alive. Had they not taken such drastic steps, there would only be a cautionary tale to tell.
This Is Alex Lewis In His Heyday
And This Is Alex Today
You see, Alex did indeed have a cold, but it was more than that. Tests would later reveal that he had contracted a viral case of Group A streptococcus. Now, this is nothing unusual. It happens, and the body typically filters it out. But in this case, the condition worsened. It became septicaemia (blood poisoning) and then turned into toxic shock syndrome.
This Is How He Looked After Waking From His Coma
Alex was in a coma as his vital organs shut down one by one. A week later, doctors saw the telltale signs that the infection was raging out of control – the man’s feet, fingertips, arms, lips, nose and part of his ears were turning black, an indication of dead tissue. Emergency amputations. They saved his life, but there was more misery to come.
Now, He’s Fighting To Get His Life Back
And To Reconnect With His Son